BikeOdyssey 2022: 16 - 18 of September 2022


To download a file to your hard drive, right-click on the file link and select "Save As..."

Αποθηκεύστε τα αρχεία κάνοντας δεξί κλικ στο όνομα του αρχείου και επιλέγοντας "Αποθήκευση ως..."

Updated: 12/6/2019


  • Total distance: 632,41 km
  • Elev. gain (+): 19.805 m
  • GPS Files: Click here




Pindos is the biggest sierra in Greece. It has length 230 klm and width 70 klm. Some of the biggest mountains that  Pindos is constituted  are Smolikas, Grammos, Agrafa, Timfi  and  lakmos.  Mountains of  southern  Greece, such as Bardoysia, Gkiona, Parnassos and Oiti  are also considered to be part of the wider sierra of Pindos.  Pindos is full of dense forests,streams, rivers and quaint villages from where the race’ s trail passes.

To download a file to your hard drive, right-click on the file link and select "Save As..."

Αποθηκεύστε τα αρχεία κάνοντας δεξί κλικ στο όνομα του αρχείου και επιλέγοντας "Αποθήκευση ως..."

Stages  KML Files
GPX Files
Stage 1  stage1.kml  stage1.gpx
Stage 2  stage2.kml  stage2.gpx
Stage 3  stage3.kml  stage3.gpx
Stage 4  stage4.kml  stage4.gpx
Stage 5  stage5.kml  stage5.gpx
Stage 6  stage6.kml  stage6.gpx
Stage 7  stage7.kml


Stage 8  stage8.kml  stage8.gpx

xartis nomoi

53 villages in 8 different prefectures of Greece.Quaint, mountain villages of unique natural beauty and historical significance will be among the places that the toughest  mountain bike race will cross along the mountain range of Pindos.

Some of the villages and settlements along Bike Odyssey 2018 route:


 Smixi - 1st Village Station 

444039 SmixiSmixi is a mountainous village in the Prefecture of Grevena and it is built at an altitude of 1,220 meters on the slopes of Smolikas and it is one of the most mountainous settlements in Greece.
Smixi was not always in its current location (38 km southwest of Grevena). The village was created by the union of settlements "Biga" and "Pinakades". When the Pinakades area was plagued by malaria, its inhabitants decided to move elsewhere to escape. The inhabitants of Biga, fearing the same, decided to follow the first but disagreeing with each other about the point of establishing the new settlement. Then the older man decided to start two young people - one from each settlement with a stone in their hands - and at the point where they would meet would make the new settlement and lay the church of Saint Nicolas. So it happened and the village was named Smixi (= mixing of the two settlements). The stones held by the two young people were incorporated into the foundations of the church of St. Nicolas, as decided. The village was built with very personal work: carriers carried stones with mules, while the immigrants in America coming from Smixi undertook the project financing. Generally speaking, there was great mutual aid and solidarity between the Smixians. Once it was considered that it was an insult to the village if a young woman was married with a man from another place. They always married each other, thus maintaining the custom of intermarriage.
Its population is 750 inhabitants. It is characteristic the fact that the population reaches 1,000 people from July 20th to late August, while in the winter there are 10-15 families in the village. This happens mainly because many of Smixians are moving breeders and the altitude of Smixi (1.250 m) is not conducive to their work. Apart from these, there are freelancers who are engaged in tourism, loggers and even a craftsmanship association that makes traditional woven fabrics.
Because of its proximity to the ski center of Vasilitsa, it has become an important winter resort in the region.

AvdellaAvdella is classified as a rural mountain village, built at an altitude of 1300m. It is located at the western end of the prefecture of Grevena, close to the borders with the prefecture of Ioannina. It abstains from Grevena, 43 km, to the Southwest. The village is built on the eastern slopes of Northern Pindos, in a wooded area at the boundaries of the National Park of Valia Calda, and the high altitude is making it one of the most mountainous villages of Greece.
Before 1800, the village was situated in the "Fantines" region, but the residents, mostly large families of Vlach shepherds moved to the current position due to better climate. The people of Avdella actively participated in the Greek Revolution of 1821 and the Macedonian Struggle with major Macedonian Leaders Verros Zisis and Ioannis Chatzigiannis.


miliaMilia is one of the most beautiful villages of Epirus. Located at an altitude of 1250 meters above sea, on the mountains of Pindos. The village belongs to the prefecture of Ioannina, in particular occupies the northeastern part of the countyside, just 65 km from Ioannina.
It is one of the traditional villages of Pindos, with a permanent population of 450 inhabitants. Embraced from the mountains Livadi, Mavrovouni, Tsapouli and Antichasia. Located between Metsovo (prefecture of Ioannina), the Malakasio, Palia Koutsoufliani (Trikala) and Krania (Grevena) – in between the boundaries of Epirus, Thessaly and Western Macedonia.



 Kallirroi - 2nd Village Station 

kallirroi2Kallirroi is a mountainous village in the district of Trikala. It is built at an altitude of 1,040 meters on the slopes of southern Pindos, between the peaks Dalia (1,500 m), Krotiaia Papou (1,700 m) and Bourdeni (1,750 m), between Krania and Polythea. It is 60 km from Kalambaka and is one of the most mountainous settlements in Thessaly. Kallirroi belongs to the Aspropotamos Community.

Its about 200 residents (in the summer months) are engaged in logging (8,500 acres of fir, pine and beech forest) and livestock farming. In the winter the village deserts and the community office is transported and operates in Trikala. On the contrary, in the summer, everything comes alive with the arrival of not only the locals who return to their homes but also vacationers who are ready to enjoy the beauty of the place and the good climate, thus reaching a number of 1,000 residents. The natural environment remains virgin and this has made it possible to maintain in the forests many wild animals such as deer, wolves, foxes, hares, bears and squirrels. The river of Kallirrois poured into Aspropotamos is a natural reserve of trout.

Although the testimonies of the occasional movements of the populations during the Ottoman domination are fragmentary, we know that Vlachs from the Aspropotamos area settled in Iraklia (Tzoumagia, Serres). Perhaps such a movement was the reason for the desertion of the village before 1830, as tradition shows. It is also reported that the ethnologist Cosmas Aetolos passed and taught through the village. The two churches of the village followed the fate of the settlement. Thus, the sacred church of the Koimiseos tis Theotokou (Assumption of the Virgin), dated before 1600, was burned in 1943 by the Germans and a new one was built in its place. Only the old bell tower was preserved. On the fifteenth of August, the village celebrate a feast after the Divine Liturgy in the village square. The church of Ag. Nicholas, which is considered the oldest of the village, was demolished in 1970 and a new temple was built in its place, where part of the iconostasi (altarpiece) and portable icons saved from the old church and were placed in the new one.


5.AnilioAnilio is a mountainous village of the prefecture of Ioannina. It is built at an altitude of 1,060m. on the mountain slopes of northern Pindos, opposite Metsovo and the shadow of "Fatzetos" maountain top of Pindos. Its Vlach name is "Kiare", which means a sunless place. However, the village is at a beautiful and sunny place. The view of the natural wealth, which is unique every season, and the view of the traditional, cosmopolitan and picturesque Metsovo make it unique.
For the first time, historically, we find it in 1674 in an official document of the Turkish public administration. Then the village was one of the two neighborhoods of Metsovo. Of course it is certain that Anilio existed earlier, since the presence of the Vlachs in the area was recorded historically much earlier. According to Pukeville, it was inhabited by a Vlach livestock population in the tenth century.
During the Ottoman Empire, Anilio enjoyed privileges and had relative autonomy and local government. It was liberated by the Turks on 31 October 1912 and was a separate community until 1998. Then it merged into a municipality with Metsovo.
Today Anilio is a lively village with about 1,000 inhabitants, shops, hotels and schools. Anilio is the first in producing bee hives in Greece and the first in producing barrels. There is considerable livestock farming on vast pastures and cheese, honey, nuts, tea and oregano are also produced.

6.AmarantosThe village Amarantos is located at an altitude of 950 meters of Pindos Mountains. A place with extreme beauty protected by the European Union as Natura 2000. The Amaranth is a mountain resort, built in firs. Far from Trikala 58 km and from Kalambaka 37 km. Located south of the municipality, between altitudes 780 - 1020m.
The name Amarantos was given in 1928 due to the flower "Amaranthos" that blooms in May and turn yellow the meadows. The old Vlach name was "Vendista".



7.PaleochoriPaleochori is a mountain village of Pindos at an altitude of 1,050 m. 22 km SW of Kalampaka. Surrounded by the peaks of Pindos, Kokkinovrisi (1,700 m), Gionali (1,700 m), Goura (1,900 m), Soufli (2,010 m), Trigkia (2,204 m) and 6,000 acres of virgin fir forests across the rivers Pliatsikas, Vlaha, Katonissa and Koggia.
Paleochori belongs to the municipality of Kalampaka of Regional Unity oF Trikala and the official name is "Paleochorion".




8.AidonaIt is a mountainous community of Pindos, built at an altitude of 850m, 40km. of Kalampaka. A special attraction of Aidona is the centuries-old elm tree opposite the square that has been designated as the Preserved Monument of Nature.
Aidona (means female nightingale) is a face of Greek mythology transformed into a homonymous bird, the nightingale. There are two versions of the transformation of Aidona into a bird.
According to the first version, Aidona was the daughter of Pandareus and wife of Zythos with whom he acquired a son, Ιtylos. Aidona felt jealous of Niovi, who was the wife of Amphionas, brother of Zythos, and had 12 children. So he decided to kill one of Niovi's children but accidentally killed her son, Ιtylos. Zeus to soothe her pain transformed her into a nightingale.
According to the second version, Aidona was the wife of Polytechnos. Somehow he boasted that their happiness was superior to that of Zeus and Hera. Hera, in order to revenge her, ordered Eris to put the idea to Aidona to compete with Polytechnos. Aidona managed to beat the bet that they had put and asked for a new slave. Polytechnos very angry send to her her sister, Chelidona (means female swallow) who had first raped. The two sisters to revenge him murdered the son of Polytecnos and served his body as food to Polytechnso. He, learning what they had done, tried in his turn to avenge them. However, Pandareus' guards prevented Polytechnos, salved him with honey and left him to the insects. However, Aidona finally felt sorry for him and tried to save him. This angered her father. Zeus transformed everyone into birds. Aidona into nightingale, Chelidona into swallow, Polytechnos into pelican and Pandareus into sea eagle.

9.ChrysomiliaMountain village of the prefecture of Trikala at an altitude of 910m. It is 39km from Kalampaka and 47km from Trikala. The name Chrysomilia is relatively recent. The old name of the village was Pano Perliago until 1928. It was given by the Turks and meant Pano Panagia (means Upper Virgin Mary). A forest of firs, chestnuts and cedars spreads over the settlement.
In 1943 the village was burned by the Germans, but until today there are several old stone houses and churches such as Aghia Paraskevi. There is also a folklor museum in the village. Characteristic of the village are the many chapels located in and around the village.


10.PertouliAt an altitude of 1090 meters on the slopes of Koziakas and 54 km from Trikala, a mountainous paradise surrounded by mountains, dense forests, green meadows and running waters awaits you to conquer. Built amphitheatrically, Pertouli was in the past a gathering place for the local breeders. Today, that which makes the village stand out and is one of the most popular mountain resorts in Greece, is its picturesque stone houses with its red or stone roofs, the ski center and the beautiful fir forest.
Approximately 5 km before Pertouli, the fir forest begins to recede and shrubs and grass appear in its place. There are the Livadia Pertouliou (means the meadows of Pertouli), with the low hydrophilic plants and the Pertouliotikos River (or Xeria River) that creates during its flow meanders, the "klouria" as the locals call it is and hosts riverfishes and frogs. You will encounter galloping horses, free cows, streams and small ponds, while roe deers and deers pass by your side while you are having a picnic in the recreation areas. At the same location is located the ski resort.

11.VlachaAfter Elati and before the Pertouli Ski Center, we find our left a detour that leading to the small picturesque village of Vlacha. Vlacha has an altitude of 1116 meters above sea level and belongs to the Municipality of Pyli.





12.Petrochori32 km from Trikala, at an altitude of 650 m, between the fir forests of Bouziara and Balaros and below the peaks of Psilos (1,500 m) and Prophet Elias (1,010 m) we meet Petrochori (or Vitsena) , a small community of farmers and breeders (350 people in the winter and 480 in the summer).
From the forest of Balaros, from where the Plastira Lake and Trikala are visible, are flowing the waters of the spring and the torrent of the same name and of the waterfall Klyronomia or else Puria. Near the village flows the tributary of the Portaikos River, Petrochoritis, and there are the sources of Platanaki and Moutsiaropoula.
In the village there are the professions of carrier and woodcarver. There are still opperative the distilleries and the mill "of Vlasiotis" and the old stone house Hani - Bekou is preserved.
At a distance of half an hour from the village there are the ruins of an ancient fortification consisting of two parts, the Upper and the Lower Castle, which communicate with each other with an underground tunnel.

Aghios Ioannis
It is a settlement of the Ropoto village.

It is a settlement of the Ropoto village.

 Pyli - 3rd Village Station 

15.PyliPyli of Trikala is located in a beautiful natural landscape dominated by imposing mountains and the Portaikos River. It is close tothe capital of the Prefecture of Trikala, and specifically 18 kilometers from Trikala. The name of the town Pyli is due to its geographic location. It is located just before the passage between the two mountains of Koziakas and Itamos and it is essentially the entrance from the lowland and rural areas of the Prefecture of Trikala to the mountainous and southern areas of Pindos.
It is located on the road of Trikala-Arta and is a favorite stop for the travellers before reaching the popular winter destinations of Elati, Pertouli and the ski center that is there. At Pyli of about 2,500 residents there are several attractions worth seeing. The first is the famous arched stone bridge overlooking the Portaikos River. It is located about one and a half kilometers outside Pyli and is perfectly harmonized with the wild natural landscape for about 500 years after it was built in 1514 by Saint Bessarion. It is a construction achievement of the time, as long as you think that it is 67 meters long. If you cross over the bridge to the other shore of the river and walk in the direction of Portaikos for about 1 kilometer, you will find the most important Byzantine and religious monument of the area. The Byzantine church of Porta Panagia. The church of Porta Panagia or else the "Panagia ton Megalon Pylon" (means the Virgin Mary of Great Gates)is located opposite the town of Pyli, in the settlement Porta, which was also the birthplace of Saint Bessarion. It was built in 1283 by the sebastokrator John Angelos Komninos Doukas the First and although he has suffered several great damages since then it has retained several elements such as the relatively recent 18th-century frescoes and the original flooring. The uniqueness of the temple, beyond its important historical and religious significance for the wider region of Trikala, is located in two mosaics on the main gate of the sanctuary. These are the full-length icons of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ, placed opposite from that would be according to Christian Christian Orthodox tradition, with Jesus Christ on the left and the Virgin Mary on the right.

Aghios Dimitrios
It is a village next to settlement Loggies of Ropoto.

17.VatsouniaA semi-mountainous settlement of the Prefecture of Karditsa, 10km from Mouzaki, Vatsounia is sparsely populated among chestnut, fir and oak forests.
The foundation of the village is lost in the depths of the ages. In the location "Palioklisi", very close to the settlement, the kingdom of the ancient Selli (an ancient Greek race of Epirus) is placed. In the later years, according to testimonies, around the year 1800 many battles took place in the area. At the end of the last century, the population of the settlement was significantly strengthened.
A special monument of the area is the church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Its foundation at spot "Panagia" is placed in the 16th century and its interior is full of frescoes. Equally remarkable is the church of Saint Nicolas, a basilica with pillars, which it is located in the center of the settlement and built in 1900. Finally, within the village there are three ruined watermills that refer to earlier times.
The basic income of the residents is ensured by agriculture and livestock farming. The village has excellent drinking water which, according to chemical analyzes of the General Chemistry of the State, is one of the best in Greece.
The Pamisos River, which passes through the village center and flows into Pinios River, cools the village. The vegetation on the shores of the river is rich and the avifauna is of particular interest. In the area of ​​Vatsounia there are three springs, the Sklythra spring, which is easily accessible and the Sami and Goura springs which are difficult to reach. There is also a 7,000-acre forest with oaks, firs and chestnuts where one can do hiking through scenic paths.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that the Municipality of Vatsounia, together with many residents, founded the Community Laic Base Bussiness, Hydroelectric SA. , for the exploitation of the waters of the area and the production of 600kw electricity.

Settlement of Drakotripa village. The area is well known for the construction of swords and for that reason it is called "Spathes" (means big swords).

19.KeramarioPlace near the village of Drakotrypa where there is "Keramario", which is a traditional guesthouse and a tavern, and from there it has taken its name the wider area too.





20.DrakotrypaDrakotrypa is a village in the Municipality of Mouzaki of Karditsa. It is located at an altitude of 650 meters, almost at the foot of two mountains - Tybano and Karavoula - and is surrounded by fir forest. Because most of the forest is virgin, many species of fauna have been found in it, and some of them are extremely rare. Inside the forest, wild boars, roe deers and foxes have made their appearance.
This village is lost in green and abundant waters. There are also springs with medicinal waters as well as the dragon cave, from which has taken and the village its name. According to tradition, a dragon was living there.
Drakotrypa, known for many centuries under the name Sklatena, was the headquarters of the craft industry for making swords during the Ottoman domination. A settlement is still named Spathes (means big swords) today. The current inhabitants of Drakotrypa come from a very large percentage of the area of ​​the Mastrochoria (means villages of craftmen) of Konitsa. They were craftsmen of stone and they used a special language, called mastorika or otherwise koudaritika, to get in touch when they were working.
In the area there is a very important monument of Agrafa, the monastery of Aghia Triada, built in 1743. During the Ottoman domination, great Greeks such as George Karaiskakis and Saint Cosmas Etolos passed through it. The village, in the past, has undergone many sedimentations whose traces are still visible today. According to the tradition, these sedimentations are due to the curse of Agios Kosmas Etolos, because the residents and monks of the monastery of Aghia Triada, during his visit to the village, have been inhospitable to him.
There is an under contruction library in the village and a museum with exhibits of the 18th and 19th century. Finally, it is worth mentioning that Drakotrypa is the birthplace of four champions: Dimosthenis Tampakos, Olympic champion in the rings, Evi Tampaki, world champion in rhythmic gymnastics, Christina Tampaki, Greek champion at 100 meters with obstacles and Athena Papasotiriou, Greek champion at the heptathon.

21.PlataniaSettlement of Oxya village at Karditsa with an altitude of 979 meters from the sea surface.






22.PalaiochoriPaleochori belongs to the Municipality of Argithea and is a central settlement. It is structured by flats on a smooth green slope and it is at an altitude of 950m.
Its inhabitants amount to 33, are mainly of local origin and are engaged in livestock and beekeeping. The most important monument of the settlement is the stone post-Byzantine church of Saint George (17th century), in the courtyard of which locals and visitors meet every year on the last Sunday of July.




23.FylaktiFylakti is a mountainous village of the Prefecture of Karditsa, built at an altitude of 1000 meters on the slopes of Agrafa, very close to Plastiras Lake , with 278 inhabitants. It is one of the most mountainous settlements of Thessaly. The history of the village dates back to Byzantine times. Previously he was in the position "Aghioi Apostoli "and was called the Megali Pouliana. However, due to illness, the inhabitants moved to the present location where the monasteries of Aghia Triada and Saint George. They named the village of Sermenikon because of the disease (from the greek word sirmi which means contagion-epidemic) and after 1928 it got its present name Fylakti (from the greek word fylasso which means protect), because the village was now protected from the disease.
Impressive is the fir forest of 8,000 hectares opposite the village. The flora consists of firs, oaks, chestnut trees and cedar trees, while hares, wild boars, roe deers and partridges live there. From the surrounding peaks - Voutsikaki 2154m, Petralona 1150m, Tsoukarela 1600m, Kafky 1800m. - the view to the Thessalian plain and Epirus is unique. From the mountain Voutsikaki, the river Megdovas flows and pours into Plastira Lake.
In the area of Templa south of the village and behind the ski center, there is the cave of Kaimakia. Within the village, we find many singletracks and paths ideal for hiking that take us to places like Kassandra Fountain, Limpo and Ai-Giannis. From the village there are two narrow streets leading to the chapel of Prophet Elias. In Fylaki we also find many stone-built faucets and in the forest we find the Ennia Nera Fountain. The ornament of the village is the monastery of Aghia Triada of the 17th century, with the preserved three-aisled temple with a narthex and an outside arcade, with its wood-carved temple of 1852 and remarkable frescoes.
The inhabitants' occupations are agriculture and livestock farming. There is also a fish farm with trout and salmon in the village.

24.PezoulaPezoula is a picturesque community located southwest of Karditsa and is 33 km away. The route from the city to Pezοula is wonderful as it passes through the lush nature. Chestnut, fir and oak trees alternate and create landscapes of unique aesthetics. It is built at 900 m altitude, in the green.
The population of the village amounts to 150 people, while in the summer months it reaches around 1,500 people. They earn their income from agriculture (corn, potatoes, beans, walnuts, apples) and livestock (sheep and goats, cattle).
The first written mention of the village is in the late 16th century. Aghios Serafim, whose head is kept in the Korona Monastery, came from here. Close to the shores of the Megas River there is a picturesque watermill. The stone fountain of Aghia Paraskevi is kept in good condition, the Karagiannis fountain is located almost at the edge of the village and the Alexandris fountain is in the settlement of Neraida.
Interesting for the visitor is the three-niches covered with arches temple of Aghios Panteleimonas to the village (in Kalyvia), in a glade of dense forest with a beautiful view of the lake (previously in this place in the 16th century there was a monastery), renovated in the 18th century.
From the top of Karamanolis at an altitude of about 1,500 m, the view towards Plastiras Lake is magnificent. Another point with a special view is the "Monacho Klari" above the settlement of Neraida. There are about 3,000 acres of forest area in the village with firs, chestnuts and oaks. Dirt road leads to the Ski Center and the Mountaineering Shelter. The cave "Drakotrypa", approximately 1 km to the top of Karamanolis, lies to the west of the village.
Beach of Pezoula is located in spot Kalyvia. In its tranquil and enchanting atmosphere you can fish, swim in the clear waters of the lake, enjoy canoeing, or take a break with sports.

Νeraida (Karditsa)
25.NeraidaAt the southern ridge of Pindos and at the center of the mountainous and inaccessible Agrafa, rising in the covered by firs slopes of Maritsa at an altitude of 800-960 meters, is built the village of Neraida or Spinassa, as it was previously called.
The etymological origin of the name Spinassa is not verified, but different versions have been formulated from time to time such as:
a) The name of the village of Spinassa comes from the ancient "spinos"(finch) + "anassa" (queen of the finches), which declares the abundance of finch birds.
b) The name derives from the ancient (Homeric) verb "spin" + "asa", which means "turn I have", i.e. hidden place, hidden after turning.
c) The name derives from the Vlach words "Spin" + "oasa" which means a place with thorns.
In 1928, like many other villages, it changed its name and from Spinassa it was renamed Neraida (which means fairy in Greek) because of the many springs, with waters, which exist in the village but also its beauty.
In this area inhabited people from ancient times, before Christ (BC), and an irrefutable testimony of this are the old buildings that are preserved, the castles, the ancient tombs found and the names of the landscapes (Polyniko or Polykino, Ellinika , Pelasgian castle of Kyphos, Tsioumas castle, ruins of Kyphos villages, Bessia, Rogata, etc.).
The wider area in ancient times was called Dolopia (from the Dolopes ancient Greek race) and included the area from the roots of the plain to Velouchi and from Neuropolis to Xeniada. At the center of this area is also the village Neraida.

 Kalyvia Pezoulas - 4th Village Station 


kalybia pezulas 2Kalyvia is the settlement of the Local Community of Pezoulas of the Municipality of Plastira Lake in the Prefecture of Karditsa, as it was established according to the Kallikratis Program. From 1999 to 2010, according to the Kapodistrias Plan, they belonged administratively to the Board of Directors Pezoulas of the Municipality of Nevropoli Agrafa. It is a growing settlement with many country houses. It is located at a distance of 42 kilometers southwest of Karditsa and its population is 223 residents according to the 2011 census. Prior to the creation of the lake, the residents of the settlement worked in the fields of Nevropolis and kept their cabins here; from their existence the location take this name. In recent years, with the development of tourism in the area of Lake Plastira, the settlement is growing. The residents of the village are mainly engaged in agriculture and livestock farming. References to the village we have at the end of the 16th century. Sights of the area are the church of Agios Panteleimonas, the watermill, the stone fountains of Karagiannis and Agia Paraskevi.

From Kalyvia Pezoulas you can climb to the settlement of Pezoulas and also to the beautiful Fylakti. In the first kilometers you will see at your right a very picturesque large hut that is the offices of the environmental organization "Vatraxos Vratsos" (boiled frog). Man and climate change can be described by a frog that puts it in a pot of water that sits down indifferent until the water boils.



26.ΝeochoriNeochori is a large settlement of the prefecture of Karditsa. It is the largest of the villages of the Municipality of Plastiras Lake and really "hangs" over the lake. It is approximately 40 km from Karditsa.
Until around the 14th century, the village was named "Paliohori" (means old village in Greek) and, according to testimonies and ruins found, it was located in the settlement "Belagia" located between Pezoula and Neochori. Due to the plague that struck the area, the inhabitants were forced to move southeast to the area where the village is still located and since then it is known as "Neochori" (means new village in Greek).
With the Treaty of Tamassi in 1525, Neochori was appointed base of the council of the Autonomous Community of Agrafa and in 1526 it is seen as the main village of the region. In addition, there was the headquarters of the diocese of Fanari and Neochori, which flourished from the 14th century until the Revolution of 1821. During the Ottoman domination the area was used as a den of Greek rebels and irregular soldiers. Also during the Second World War, the Allied Mission Association transferred its headquarters there after the destruction of the village Neraida.
Previously, the economy of the area was rural and connected to the Nevropolis Plateau. After the creation of Plastiras Lake at the site of the plateau in 1959, the region's economy suffered a blow. With the tourist development that began in the area since the 1980's, the settlement recovered thanks to tourism. Today it has numerous accommodation and tourist businesses, but still retains its traditional character.
It is worth visiting the Botanical Garden that hosts the plants of the region's ecosystem while you can indulge in a variety of outdoor activities on the lake and in the area around it. Water sports, fishing, mountain biking, horseback riding, hiking, mountaineering, paragliding, archery are some of the sporting activities you can practice, and through them relax by coming in direct contact with nature.

27.MpelokomitisOn a beautiful slope of Agrafa, a stone's throw from Plastiras Lake, the village of Belokomitis appears to be perched. There are many versions of the origin of the name "Belokomitis". According to a local tradition it is a complex word and comes from Beloko (means shiny place) and myti (means nose). It is a small and beautiful village amphitheatrically concentrated on an area of ​​thirty acres. It has small, densely built houses with beautiful courtyards, while narrow alleys link the houses to each other. In the village you can find old stone houses and wood-carved balconies and doors, examples of the region's architecture.
The village is 42 km away from Karditsa and is at an altitude of 920m. Close to the village is the monastery of Panagia Pelekiti, built in the rock, from which there is a view of the whole area. Other attractions are the "Cave of Gakis" and the areas of Karvassara and Vraggiana, where there are beech, fir and chestnut forests. Opposite the village, in the "Vlachika Konakia" area, there is a vertex where at dusk can be seen a woman's face, chest, pudenda and knee , so the top has been called "Orea Kimomeni" (means Sleeping Beauty) or "Kimomeni ton Agrafon" (means Sleeping Lady of Agrafa).

28.AnthiroAnthiro is the seat of the Municipality of Argithea, built at 900 m. It is 75 km away from Karditsa and 50 km from Mouzaki.
The population of Anthiro consists of 350 people in the winter and about 1,500 people in the summer. The permanent residents of the village draw their income from agricultural work, livestock, beekeeping, wood processing, others are builders and some retirees, and some keep seasonal shops.
During the Ottoman domination there was a large, prosperous village in the same location, as evidenced by the ruins of the houses found at the beginning of the century (the fountain in the center of the village, the two ruined churches and the Monastery of Katousi). The oldest houses of the village, two-story stone buldings built around 1910, of which three are preserved, were built by Epirus masons.
As far as concern the place's name Boukovitsa, it is of Slavic origin. We can make it from the word boukovo, which means beech, and the suffix -itsa. It is therefore a settlement of the late Byzantine era.
In the village there is a museum with ecclesiastical heirlooms. Near the village there are the monasteries of the "Kimiseos tis Theotokou" (Assumption of the Virgin Mary) and the "Genniseos tis Theotokou" (Birth of the Virgin Mary) or else Monastery of Katousi), the bridge of Korakas, a stone-built bridge of the 14th century and two caves, of Kleftovrissi and Stavros. Points of great views are the mountain tops, Tsiouka and Pigadi.
Also, around the village there are rich forests with beeches and fir trees. Specifically the forest "Karakitsiou", with rich flora and fauna. The forest "Katsanos", the forest "Kalatori". There are also forests "Vlacha", "Kleftovrissi", "Drampala" and "Paparouna-Kanalia". Many are the sources of running water. Katousiotis or Anthiriotis River, with many river fishes and rich birdlife, stems from the location of Kranies of Metamorfosi settlement. On its way there are watermills.

Aghia Agathi
Aghia Agathi is a settlement of the Local Community of Karoplessi, in the southern part of the Prefecture of Karditsa, in a mountainous region of the Agrafa of Thessalia, between the peaks of Flytzani and Pyrgouli, on the Megdova River that descends to the south, after Artificial Lake of Tavropos and at its junction with the Sakiotis stream. It is built at an altitude of 680 and it is 55 km away from Karditsa. The old watermill is concidered as an attraction, which is located in the west of the settlement.

30.KaroplessiKaroplessi (altit. 910m) is 39 km away from Karditsa. It is a local community of Municipality of Itamos . Karoplessi is located 2 km from the Forest Village Driades. It was the old seat of the Municipality of Dolopes and its history goes back to Byzantium. The visitor in the area of ​​Karoplessi will admire the gorges and the huge ecological park in the junction of Megdovas River with the Aspros River, the idyllic location with the ancient plane trees and the watermills in Aghia Agathi, as well as the Municipal Art Gallery housed in the preserved building of the Primary School.
The Primary School of Karoplessi is located near the main square of the village and is of the one-class type, the first organized project for the erection of school buildings in Greece. In 1996, it was designated as a historic listed monument because it is a remarkable and representative example of school architecture, as it was shaped in Greece from the end of the 19th century until the beginning of the 20th century.

Neraida (Evritania)
31.Neraida EvritaniasNeraida (means fairy in Greek) is a settlement of Evritania located northeast of the village of Agrafa, built at an altitude of 1,340 meters. Until 1955 it was called Niala.
The settlement is located to the west of the neck of Niala Mountain, where it is unfolted one of the greatest tragedies of the Greek Civil War, which has been recorded as a tragedy of Niala. This was the death of dozens of soldiers in the Democratic Army (the Greek Democratic Army was an army adjoining the Communist Party of Greece) and the civilians accompanying them during the operation to cross the neck of Niala in order to avoid being trapped by the forces of the government's army. The reason was the adverse weather conditions that occurred in the region where very low temperatures prevailed and a fierce snowstorm was under way. In the same operation, there was also an incident of reconciliation between the soldiers of the opposing sides, who shared the same tents for one night to protect themselves from the snowstorm.

Klistos or Klitsos
32.KlistosKlistos is found in N.W of Fourna at an altitude of 780 m. At first it was called Klitsos ( the locals insist on calling it with this name ) and was later renamed to Klistos and its seat was moved in 1951 from Koritsa to Mesochori. The name of the village, as it appears from the patriarchal documents that were preserved and kept in the church of Saint Nicolas of Koritsa, is old since 1784. Today, there is the view that the name Klistos originated from the fact that the place is closed from everywhere, from mountains, and with a letter rearrangement reached the name it has today. According to one version of the meaning of the name of Klitsos village, it is as follows: Three Cretan brothers named Klitsakis came to Valtos. From there they ascended to Agrafa and arrived at Karpenissi. Kostas Klitsakis settled there permanently. George went to Mavrilo and worked in the gunpouder mills. The third, his name is unknown, was tall and very slim and they called him Xeras and Klitsso. He finally settled somewhere in the area, where is today the Klitsos village, and the village got his name from him. Klitsos consists of three districts: Platanos, Mesochori and Koritsa, the most populous district. Here was a long before 1637, the famous monastery of "Koritsa", where the bones of Evangelist Loukas are preserved and in its place today there is the parish church of Saint Nicolas. Klitsos is the homeland of the new martyr of Saint Kyprianos, who martyred in the city on July 5, 1679. Near is the top "Voulgara", where in 996 A.D. a great battle took place between the Byzantines and the Bulgarians, which led to the complete extermination of the foreigners. Nearby, there is also the "tou Liazbei to mnima", where the great hero from Roumeli Katsantonis crushed the forces of a Turk named Eliazbeis.

33.MesochoriThe headquarters of the Municipal District of Klitsos, for practical reasons, since it is geographically the most central of the other settlements, hence his name, Mesochori (means in Greek the cental part of the village). Mesochori, with its great square, houses the imposing church of the Taxiarches, the school and the bust of the General Charalambos Katsimitros 1886-1962, whose name was written in the pantheon of the heroes of Greek modern history. Mesochori, with the old buildings of another era, with enough of them to be restored, jeweleries of the region, it travels you back many years.



34.VrachaVracha is a small beautiful village of Evritania that we meet in the last years of the Byzantine Empire. It is located at the southern edge of Pindos and is built amphitheatrically at an altitude of 880m. The name of Vracha is due to the majestic and tremendous Tsioukas rock opposite the village.
At the end of the 17th century, Vracha suffered great destruction from burning and epidemics. After years it was built again. During the Revolution of 1821 the village was completely destroyed by fire. Only the Monastery, the Metamorphosis of the Savior, the Turks did not burn. It is an old monastery located in the wild Evritanic nature, surrounded by fountains, oaks and chestnuts of hundreds of years. Impressive is the small catholic with the gold-plated temple and the rare frescoes. At this monastery during the Greek Revolution, rebellious Greeks resorted. The revolutionary Katsantonis used the monastery several times as a revolutionary anthem. After the release, the village was rebuilt once more.
In Vracha there is a very old square, the Chorostation, in the center of the large Mahala (means neighborhood), next to the fountain with the historical plane tree of 350-400 years old. There is also built the elementary school of the village.
In the village there are more than 20 springs and fountains from which the village supplies water, but also an aqueduct.

35.ChohliaBuilt on 930m altitude. Probably the location of Ancient Oihalia, the ancient capital of Evritania. Here lies an ancient settlement where a large quantity of ancient artifacts, graves and grave goods was found as along with a statuette of the god Dionysus, who represents the god of joy crowned with ivy.





Aghios Charalampos
52.Aghios CharalamposLocated in the green, at an altitude of 900 meters and with 194 inhabitants, this small village is 31 km from Karpenissi. In the village there is a feast on February 10th, a bright exception, since almost all the other villages celebrate in the summer.





 Krikello - 5th Village Station 

36.KrikelloKrikello is a big village in the Prefecture of Evritania perched at an altitude of 1.120m, it is 30km away from Karpenissi and has about 420 inhabitants. It is situated in a privileged location among dense forests of ancient fir trees, dense fruit trees, rare aromatic plants and shady plane trees that grow alongside the rich waters of Krikellopotamos River.
On the way to Krikello is the location "Kokkalia" at 1,400m, where in 279 BC the Etolians and the Evritanes defeated the Gauls. The tradition says that from the bones of the defeated Gauls took its name that particular region (kokkalia from word kokala that means bones in Greek).
Entering the village welcomes you the sweet purl of the central spring. The village consists of stone built traditional houses with local color and the charm of the village is filled with the village square with the 6 large plane trees (one of them dates back to 1754), the cafes and the traditional taverns. The imposing cathedral of St. Nicolas dominates at the central square of Krikello. Built in 1903 by craftsmen of Epirus at the site of an older small temple. Other churches that stand out are those of St. John and Panagia Krikellliotissa (Virgin Mary of Krikello).
Below the village, there is the famous Krikellopotamos River (25 km long), which gathers its waters from Mount Kokkalia, continues its course along the eastern route, has a stop at the famous "Pantavrechi" (it is a waterfall and its name means "always rains" in Greek) and ends north at Dipotama where it meets the Karpenissiotis River.
At the location "Koufovrisi", about one and a half kilometers outside the village, we find the monument of the Resistance dedicated to the historic battle of Krikello during the German Occupation!
The existence of Krikello is probable by the Byzantine years. That is certainly from the Turkish tax records of 1454. Around 1650 Krikello was formed more organized with the union of seven older dispersed pastoral settlements (Agathi, Bolianes, Logges, Koumasia, Kithi, Korpi, Diavolitsi). The aim was the creation of a united and certainly more protected central settlement, due to the action of the bandits that ravaged the area, which was a very important passage on the way to sanjak (administrative division of the Ottoman Empire)of Nafpaktos. It is also said that the seven settlements had a circular shape of a ring type (krikela=krikos means ring in Greek) , from which, in one version, came the name of the village, although it is more likely to be the Vlach or Slavic origin "Kirkel". The "Solinaria" spring was the one that would provide the vital lifeblood for the later development of the village.
In the process, Krikello emerged as a great farm-livestocking-head village and experienced great prosperity throughout the centuries. During Ottoman rule it was the center of the whole vilayet (the first-order administrative division of the Ottoman Empire) of Karpenissi. Famous were the builders of Krikello, the tailors and the shoemakers who made tsarouhi (the traditional Greek shoe).
The contribution of the peple of Krikello to the 1821 Greek Revolution was also great, involving 74 local militants, reinforcing the military bodies of Gioladsis, Botsaris, Karaiskakis and other leaders of the Revolution.
On October 28, 1942, ELAS's (guerrilla army with three-member command) first battle was conducted by Aris Velouchiotis against the Italians at Koufovrisi. Krikello will experience a massive destruction by the German Nazis, two years later, in August 1944.

37.StavliStavli is a mountainous village in the Prefecture of Evritania. It is built at an altitude of 1,230 meters at Mount Oxia, which is the end of Vardoussia, and is one of the most mountainous settlements in Greece.
It is located at the foot of Oxia mountain with excellent flora, rich fauna, mild morphology, crystal clear and cold water. The area is full of green fir trees, plains, willows, acacias and cedar trees. There is everywhere green. Below we find apples, cherry trees, pear trees, mulberries, cherry plum trees and walnuts. Finally, in these places we can meet squirrels, hares, foxes, jackals, wild boars and wolves, as well as many species of birds such as finches, larks and great tits.
Close to the springs of Krikellopotamos, between the villages of Krikello, Stavli and Abliani, the forest is so dense and imposing and has such a wild beauty that is awe-inspiring. Here the mountains inspire man. Pervasive is the feeling of non-submission, of freedom. Here, in 1897, in the "tambouria" position, General Siafakas built forts and placed the second line of defense against the Turks when Greece was not yet fully liberated and its borders were a bit above Lamia. Still these mountains were connected with the resistance against the Germans (41-44) and later unfortunately with the civil war. Walking here can be found remnants of the Siafaka's fortresses (Asprolithi-Stefania), signs of the civil war, and even bullet holes.
Aghios Athanasios, a small and beautiful chapel, with a magnificent view of the village from its courtyard, together with Aghia Paraskevi, are the guards of the village from its northern and eastern borders.
According to tradition and archaeological finds, it is speculated that in the area were the palaces and stables of the mythical king Evrytus (Stavli means stables in Greek), who gave his name to Evritania. Another interpretation for the name of the village comes from the tradition that there were the stables of the Queen of the Franks knights in the area.

Grammeni Oxia
38.Grammeni OxiaThe village is located in the Prefecture of Etoloakarnania in mountainous Nafpaktia and belongs to the Municipality of Apodotia. It is built on the Mount Oxia at a height of 1,200 meters overlooking the Vardoussia Mountains, at the point where three different prefectures meet: Etoloakarnania, Fthiotida and Fokida. It is in fact the last village of mountainous Nafpaktia before the passage to Fthiotida. It consists of the upper village and the lower one known as "Kalyvia".
On the mountainside at the east of the village was found a Macedonian underground tomb called by the local Chonoklissia because it gives the impression of a small temple. In the area has also been found ruins of ancient settlement and ceramic species of pelasgian influence. Among the churches of Aghios Dimitrios and Aghia Marina of Grammeni Oxia there are traces of ancient buildings.
The village's name was initially Sitista (from the Greek word "sitizo" which means feed) of the many grains it had. In 1927, however, it was named Grammeni Oxia (means Written Beech) from a beech that existed at the top of the mountain in Ripa. In the years of the Ottoman domination, the leaders of rebels, as they were passing through the winter with their soldiers, drew a sign high on the beech tree, because the snow reaches up the two meters, a sign that they had passed. At the same time, in the spring, when they came back to their position, they left the same sign now low. If they did not find the same sign in the spring , they would say with pain and grief: ah, please God helped him not to been killed by Turks. On September 23, 1828, in Ripa, the battle of Grammeni Oxia took place in which the Greek fighters defeated the Turks.
The whole place is a natural beauty monument !! Particular reference should be made to the most southern beech forest in Europe. The forest is located to the north of the village and seems to be trying to occupy the great meadow that continues to the top of the Mount Oxia, Sarantena and is the heart of Roumeli. According to the tradition, here stopped her way the beech and did not follow her cousin, the fir tree, on their journey. She stayed there and became the most dense forest, the last in southern Europe and the most beautiful.
Unique beauty has also the mountainous mass of Vardoussia. It is a landscape of alpine beauty. Vardoussia has a strong bas relief with large gorges and bare rocks, forests with firs from Kefalonia and open pastures at high altitudes. Often referred as "Mountain of the Waters" and "Greek Alps". Their highest peak is "Korakas" (2,475 m) and is located in the southern part of the mountain. At the top of the western part in spring is created a "fine rain" that is like a waterfall because the snow melts due to the negative slopes that the peaks present in some places. From this phenomenon many locals call Vardoussia as "Anemistos". The western complex is the wildest and at the same time a surprisingly beautiful landscape that is found in Vardoussia.
There are plenty of choices for walks and small excursions. You can start with a hiking from the upper village and the lower (the so-called Kalyvia). On the way you will meet the church of Aghios Ioannis while the path is offered to gather your oregano. A nice suggestion is also a walk in the fir forest that covers the village and is known as "Kefalari". Of course, do not miss a walk in the beech forest. If you like hiking in nature, start for the mountain shelter on the neck Of Gardiki-Grammeni Oxia. The shelter is large and comfortable. From there you can continue on the top of Mount Oxia, Sarantena (1,926m height). Do not miss to go down to the river Evinos. The landscape is fantastic. On the banks of the river there are firs and huge plane trees.

39.ArtotinaBuilt for centuries in the northwestern edge of Fokida, Artotina is considered to be the bigger village of the mountainous Dorida, one of the largest and most important villages, situated between the peaks of Vardoussia at an altitude of 1.180 meters. Its name is attributed to "Nea Arta" (New Arta, Arta is a city in Epiruss) and the village is said to have been founded by persecuted people from Epirus about 1585.
Artotina is one of the two villages of Fokida that claims that is the birthplace the hero of the Revolution, Athanasios Diakos, (the other is the village that now have the same name with the hero). In the central square of the village, besides the endless view of Vardoussia, one of the reasons that Artotina is also known as "balcony of the Vardoussia", you will also have the opportunity to admire the marble bust dedicated to the great revoloution leader. In Artotina, many other rebels were born, such as the Dimos Skaltsas. On the outskirts of Artotina, there is "the fir of Skaltsodimos", "the cell of Diakos", "the cave of Giannoulas". Artotina was liberated by Kitsos Tzavelas in 1828.
The green nature with the tall firs, the cedars, the plane trees and the running waters - it is said that there are 50 springs around the village - make Artotina one of the most special mountainous villages in Greece. Its houses are traditionally built, double-floored, stone-built and with stone roofs. Just a short distance away is the historical monastery of St. John the Baptist, where Athanasios Diakos lived at his young age.
From Artotina, visitors have the opportunity to see Korakas, the highest peak of Vardoussia at 2,495 meters, and also enjoy endless walks in nature, in the fir forest bordering the village. In close distance besides the many natural beauties of Fokida, there is also Grammeni Oxia (owned by Etoloakarnania) and Evinos River, where one can reach the river by car.


 Athanasios Diakos - 6th Village Station 
40.Athanasios DiakosAt the foot of the imposing and snow-capped, for most of the year, the highest peak of Vardoussia, Korakas, at an altitude of 1,050 meters, lies the village of Athanasios Diakos in a dense forest of firs, plane trees, chestnuts and oak trees.
The old name of the village was Ano Mousounitsa but in 1959 it was renamed to Athanasios Diakos as it is considered the birthplace of the homonymous hero of the Greek Revolution of 1821. In the traditional paved square the first image that impresses you is the two imposing super-perennial plane trees - 300 years old or more - from which springs running crystal water. In the square also stands the imposing statue of the hero Athanasios Diakos, who was placed there by Plastiras in 1922 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Revolution of 1821. In addition, since 2009, the Athanasios Diakos Museum operates in the village in his honor. Next to it, the church of Metamorphosis Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Savior), built in 1872 (in the wider area there are altogether 11 chapels), is crystal clear and carefully decorated with impressive stained glass, dignified and serene.
The village has about 600 stone-built houses in the upper and lower mahala (neighborhood). The permanent residents are 518 and in the summer the village is full of life by local and summer holidaymakers. In the village is organized the last weekend of July - by the Brotherhood of Athanasios Diakos - two-day events called "Diakia" in honor of the glorious child of the village.
Two-day events include lectures, mountain-running races, cycling and various cultural events in the village square, while traditionally Sunday is also featuring a local festivity. Feast is also customary to be held in the square on the 6th August day of the church of Metamorphosis Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Savior).



MaurolithariMavrolithari is a mountainous village in the prefecture of Fokida It is built at an altitude of 1.140 meters on the slopes of Oiti and is one of the most mountainous settlements in Greece. The village was the capital of the former Municipality of Kallieon, and from 2011 it administratively belongs to the expanded Municipality of Delphi. Its population, according to the 2011 Census, is 491 inhabitants.

During the Ottoman domination, the village was the seat of Armartoloi and Thieves: it was the homeland of the Armartolos Vlacharmatas. Mavrolithari was burned down during the occupation by the Germans in World War 2.





1280px KastriotissaKastriotissa is a mountainous village in the prefecture of Fokida. Its name is due to the ruins of an ancient castle built in the village, which was built in 500 BC. and was used by Dorians. It is built at an altitude of 1.160 meters on the slopes of Oiti and is one of the most mountainous settlements in Greece. In 325 BC. it was overwhelmed by the Persians. At the beginning of the 19th century, the first excavations were carried out in the area, while in 1897 it was mentioned in a written source. In Kastriotissa there is also the church of the Assumption of the Virgin, which served as refuge during the Ottoman domination. In the place of the church there used to be a women's monastery. Kastriotissa belonged to the Municipality of Kallieon until 2010, and from 2011 belongs to the new Municipality of Delphi. Its population according to the 2011 Census is 118 inhabitants. It is located 59 kilometers from Amfissa and 69 kilometers from Lamia.




OINOCHORIOOinohori is located on the northern boundaries of the prefecture of Fokida and is built on the slopes of Oiti and Giona. It is located 37.5 km north of Amfissa, 14 km NW. of Gravias. The area is full of oaks, cedars, firs and crops, as well as springs full of plane trees. It overlooks the mountain range of Parnassos and Kallidromos. In the village there is the church of Agia Aikaterini, a cultural center, a basketball court, a modern playground and a guest house for food and overnight stays. At a distance of 4 km, someone can find the ruins of an ancient city, which is believed to be the Doric town of Dryopi, one of the cities of the Doric Tetrapolis. At the entrance of the village, there is the rock "Psilo Kotroni" (high rock) with a height of 100 meters used for ascents and climbs. On the way to Kaloskopi lies the "Kefalovrysos" spring,surrounded by towering planes, as well as the chapel of Saint Helen.




apostoliasThe village of Apostolias (used to be called Kaniani) is located at the foot of Oiti, southwest of Gravia and at an altitude of 520m. The settlement was founded around 1830 and was essentially an extension of the settlement Ano Kaniani (today Oinohori). It has been developed with the arrival of many residents from different regions, such as from Epirus (the area of ​​Souli), thus many of its residents are called Solias, as a slightly altered version of the word’s origins.

Apostolias was named – according to some people - by the Holy Temple of the Holy Apostles. The stream “Apostolias”, which passes out and below the village, was also named after that Temple.

Ano Kalyvia


ano kalyviaThe village of Ano Kalyvia belongs to the prefecture of Fthiotida.








Kato Tithorea - 7th and Final Village Station


Kato TithoreaKato Tithorea is a town of the prefecture of Fthiotida and the capital of the expanded Municipality of Amfiklia - Elatia. It is built on the eastern slopes of Mount Parnassus, at an altitude of 440 meters, on the paths of which the mythical Odysseus hunted wild boars with his grandfather, Autolykos,.

Bike Odyssey will pass through some villages in area of Kato Tthorea. Some of them are Tithorea (formerly known as Velitsa) and Agia Marina, where the athletes and visitors of the race will have the chance to admire the monastery of Panagia Odigitria and the historic monastery of Agia Marina. At the same time, the participants will be able to rejuvenate themselves from the running cool waters of the springs of Parnassus.

In addition, contestants will be able to explore the ruins of ancient Tithorea between the houses of the settlement of Tithorea, as well as the cave in which the lion of Roumeli, Odysseus Androutsos, lived and acted during the Greek Revolution.

Finally, the bust of Philopoimin Finos in the central square of the village of Kato Tithorea, the great producer of Greek cinema and founder of the historic Finos Film, could not be unmentioned. From this square the final stage of the race will begin.







Agia Paraskevi


agia paraskeviThe village of Agia Paraskevi is located in the plain of the Boeotian Kifissos, between the eastern Parnassus and the mountain Kallidromos. Until 2010 IT belonged to the Municipality of Kato Tithorea, along with 4 other villages, and from 2011 it belongs to the expanded Municipality of Amfiklia - Elatia.

The settlement belonged to the former Province of Locrida, with Atalanti as its capital, that is why most of the time the name Agia Paraskevi of Lokrida is being used, to be more specific about the location.

Agia Paraskevi is home to 180 people, according to the 2011 Census. It has a small area and its inhabitants are mainly engaged in agriculture and livestock farming.




paroriParorio (or Parori) is a small village of the Municipality of Levadia in the prefecture of Viotia. It is located at the east of Davlia, at the foot of Mount Parnassus. It is named as such because it lies on the borders of the regions of Viotia and Fthiotida. It has a population of 224 inhabitants according to the 2011 Census. The village was called Bischeni until 1930, when it was renamed Parori. It is worth seeing the medieval tower, which was used for the rapid transmission of messages in a short time, by using fire lit on the hill near Vasilica, as well as the church of Agioi Theodoroi with remarkable frescoes at the entrance of the village.




Agia Marina


agia marinaAgia Marina is located at the far southern end of the prefecture of Fthiotida, near Tithorea and just before the border with the prefecture of Viotia, at the northern end of Parnassus. The village is characterized as an agricultural semi-mountainous settlement.







tithoreaTithorea is a village in the prefecture of Fthiotida and belongs to the expanded Municipality of Amfiklia - Elatia. It is built on the eastern slopes of Parnassos, at an altitude of 440 meters. Its population, according to the 2011 census, is 630 inhabitants. Tithorea has been experiencing tourist development in recent years due to the small distance that separates it from the winter resorts of Parnassus.

Until 1926 it was called Velitsa, so it was renamed Tithorea, due to the ancient temple of Tithorea, which was in the same location. The ruins of ancient Tithorea are still distinguished between the modern houses of the settlement, while the wall surrounding the city is preserved in a very good condition.









BikeOdyssey is an 8 days XC (Cross Country) bike race across the Pindos mountain range, in Greece. Is the toughest race in Greece and one of the toughest mountain bike races in the world.


Enter your details below and we will send you “Bike Odyssey’s” newsletters that will keep you abreast of all the latest news. To sign up to receive our emails, fill in the following fields:


Agiou Ioannou Theologou 31, Gerakas, Greece 15344
Office hours:
Monday - Friday 10h - 20h


+30 210 6613120


Fast Stats

Some fast stats:



19 800

elevation gain